Types of visa
As a country with an increasingly globalised, growing economy, people come to South Africa for different purposes. Some come to take up an employment opportunity. Others come to study, or conduct research. There are also those who come to join relatives, or to undergo medical treatment. And some are merely tourists, or are just passing through. But whatever your reason for traveling to South Africa, you need to make sure that you apply for the correct type of visa. If you have the wrong visa, you will not be allowed to enter South Africa and you may be sent back to your country of origin immediately.
A visitor’s visa will be issued to applicants for the following reasons:
- Visiting family or friends and also as a tourist
- Business purposes (short-term)
- Spouse joining the other spouse, who is in South Africa on a work or study visa
- Children joining parents who are in South Africa on work or study visas
- Fiancée/Fiancé joining his/her partner with the intention of marrying within 90 days
- Study purposes (maximum duration 3 months)
- Charity/Volunteer activities
- Attending a conference
- Working in the production of a movie or a show/concert (entertainment industry)
- Medical purposes (maximum duration 3 months)
- Participating in or attending a sport event
However, people often need to stay in South Africa for much longer periods than 3 months, and they also come to South Africa for different reasons to the ones listed above. In that case, you will need to apply for a temporary residence visa, which is explained on a separate page on this site, which you can access by clicking here.
For any further question/s, please use the contact form below: